Monday, October 15, 2018

Where to start



I started with the idea that I should make a browser game. I am, afterall, a web developer. It seemed like a simple enough idea and I even made a game for one of my projects a couple years ago.

But then I started thinking about how I REALLY want to make a game to play on my computer even if I'm offline. I want my kids to mess around with it. I want family to try it out. So I needed it to be simple. While I know I can do that on the web, I wanted to branch out and try something new.

So, I decided to go with RPG Maker MV. It's a program that helps you make games. Sounds easy ish, yeah? Not only that, but you can program things with Javascript. Okay, now this is getting more towards my liking. Aaaaand I can bring in my own art. Sold.

Now I just need a story idea.

I've been working on a bit of a story for a while now and I think it'll work. It's far too complicated for a short game, but maybe I can build it out later. Right now, I just want to make a game. Start to finish, even if it's short and crappy made.


Because the main idea is to just get something out there, I'm going to use a lot of free plug-ins and artwork. With credit, of course. Maybe someday if I can get all this figured out I can do it 100% by myself, but let's just get something started, shall we?

My plan with this blog is to document the game as best as possible. To start, I made a small camp. It's where out group is going to begin. They are on their way to do their final project for school. A quest, as they call it.

Next, I need to figure out who these people are, and what they are going to say before they leave camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment